If you have a long-standing illness change can sometimes take time and a good deal of commitment on your part, but I always strive to ensure my recommendations are as practical, achievable and as enjoyable as possible. I strongly believe food is one of life’s true pleasures and my aim will always be to enable you to be well enough in the long run to be able to enjoy most foods.
During our initial consultation, I will ask you information about your medical history, symptoms, and also where appropriate lifestyle, stress levels, sleep patterns etc.
Although not always possible I often suggest people follow the 80/20 rule – making nutritious choices for 80% of the time, allowing you to be more relaxed for the other 20%
You can read further detail about my approach, training and special areas of interest in the About Me section.
Helen is a mine of information – all of it useful, applicable to everyday life and backed up with solid evidence or sensible pragmatism. Everyone could benefit from a session with her! Dr Duncan Still, National Centre for Integrative Medicine Holistic Dr and Bristol GP
I get excited about all the new science that is flooding in to confirm the clear links about how food can profoundly influence our health. I’m not interested in celebrity fad diets, but ones that have some evidence to support their use. If you are making changes to your diet you want to be as sure as possible that there is a good reason for doing this.
The amount of information on the internet can be overwhelming – especially when you’re not feeling your best. Although some people enjoy searching for scientific studies, many of my clients tell me they find this a burden.
My practice relies on the very latest thinking, research and evidence in the field of nutrition/Functional Medicine which feeds into your personalised recommendations.
I do not routinely prescribe supplements. I prefer to help you get the nutrients you need from making changes to your diet. Sometimes however supplements are necessary to achieve the levels required to bring about a therapeutic effect.
I can provide you with access to the highest-quality supplements on the market, some of which are only available via qualified practitioners. I am not affiliated to any vitamin companies so will always give unbiased recommendations.
If required, I can direct you to appropriate natural remedies, such as practitioner grade, over-the-counter, herbal remedies to aid sleep, low mood, stress, colds and improve symptoms of the menopause. There are bewildering arrays of such remedies available, but I am happy to help you consider which ones would be most beneficial for your situation, based on the latest scientific evidence. I will also check that they are safe to use alongside any medication you are taking.
I like to take a whole-person approach to my work which takes into consideration not only the food that people eat but also lifestyle/stress etc.
I am highly aware that many health conditions are influenced by stress and when people come for a consultation it can be clear that this may be a big part of the picture. If that’s the case, we can discuss your support options to address this. In some cases, unless people address the stress in the lives alongside nutritional changes required, shifts in a person’s health are unlikely to take place.
I have extensive experience in teaching people simple, calming breathing, mind-clearing and relaxation exercises and I can refer you to specialist colleagues if needed.
As well as being enjoyable to practice, stress reduction can also help bring the body back into balance at a physiological level (reducing the heart rate and breathing rate), positively supporting your body to heal itself. Studies demonstrate these approaches can have beneficial effects on sleep, stress, chronic pain, high blood pressure and immune/hormonal function. Left unchecked, on-going stress and poor breathing can lead to the onset of many of our common health complaints – such as high blood pressure and heart disease. As most health conditions have a stress component, I recommend learning these approaches to complement the nutritional changes you are making to help you achieve optimal health.
Calming breathing and mind-clearing techniques can be invaluable to help you manage stressful or anxious/emotional times in your life more effectively. Being simple to learn, they can easily be integrated into everyday life.
Lifestyle approaches and complementary therapies
I am happy to advise which of these may be particularly beneficial for your situation and direct you to reliable resources including national practitioner listings to enable you to access these approaches and therapies. These may include approaches such as yoga, acupuncture, massage or simply going for more walks to enjoy nature.